Our Commitment to Sustainability
In line with Saudi Vision 2030 and KAUST Sustainability efforts, Community Life is committed to taking action to support sustainable practices in the community.
KAUST has recently co-signed a global statement on the United Nations Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development which indicates our commitment
to promote sustainable practices in our community, Saudi Arabia, and around the world.
Below are a few ways that we're working with our service areas and community members to make a lasting difference:
- Removed plastic bags from KAUST Tamimi Tamimi Supermarkets and the Campus Diner, and encouraging the use of reusable bags
- Providing paper bag alternative in KAUST Health pharmacy
- Supporting KAUST Startup, Edama, which is the first organic waste recycling facility in Saudi Arabia, in collecting clean organic waste from KAUST food outlets
- Increased vegetarian options and supporting food waste reduction initiatives in collaboration with KAUST food outlets
- Encouraging biking, including offering bike riding instruction in school, awareness programs, additional bike parking facilities, and more.
- Reducing the use of single-use plastic water bottles in all service areas
- Maintaining beehives and insect hotels at the Golf Course
- Supporting University-wide awareness initiatives including the KAUST Get on Your Bike Program and UN global awareness days
- and more…
We are always keen to implement sustainable ideas across our service areas. If you'd like to share your ideas for making KAUST more sustainable, please contact the Sustainability Office at Sustainability@kaust.edu.sa or
the Community Life team at GetEngaged@kaust.edu.sa.