To help protect your home and belongings, we have prepared a checklist of simple actions to take both at KAUST and when traveling. The simple but effective tips below will go a long way in keeping your home and belongings safe and secure from theft or damage.
- Lock your windows and doors when you leave the house. This is the most likely entry for thieves at KAUST. Use the window or door pin where available. These security measures are effective when operated properly.
- The best measure for securing money is the bank, not your house. Store and secure valuables in a properly installed safe or safety deposit box. Consider carefully where you keep the key.
- While at work, keep your wallet, purse, or other valuable items with you or locked away. Never leave valuable items out.
- Always lock your bike.
- Never leave the key in the ignition of your car, golf cart, or scooter.
- Consider using security cameras, lighting timers, or other effective security measures inside your home.
Before you travel:
- Assign a caretaker for your home or pet, using the Caretaker Authorization Form.
- Close all angle valves in your home to ensure no water leaks from the internal plumbing system. They are typically located near sinks, bidets and hand sprays.
- Set your air conditioning to 26°C (78.8°F) to avoid condensation and prevent formation and growth of mold.
- Switch off the water heater electrical circuit breaker to prevent any excessive temperature and pressure build-up in the water heater tank. This is located inside the distribution board panel in houses and villas.
- Switch off your stove and other non-essential electrical appliances and unplug them at the wall.
- Leave floor drains in all wet areas uncovered including toilets, kitchen, washroom, laundry room and water heater room, to prevent flooding in the event of a leak.
- Close curtains to enhance security.
- Don’t advertise your travel plans, especially on social media. Tell only those who need to know.
- Arrange the upkeep of your backyard by calling 959 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have difficulty locating or working any of the features outlined above, please contact 959 from a landline or 012 808-0959 from a mobile phone.
In most cases, KAUST is not liable for damages and does not reimburse tenants in the event of stolen or damaged items. Damage to your unit and its contents occurring in the absence of a resident may be deemed the result of negligence as defined in KAUST Policy and your KAUST Housing Agreement.
Below are contact details for the various relevant teams at KAUST. If you are not sure who to contact, reach out to the Facilities Management Helpdesk and they will help you find the right team
If you see something suspicious, report it immediately.
- Contact 012 808-0959 (959 from a landline phone) for home maintenance, gardening, appliances, and more.
Thank you in advance for your commitment to protecting your home and safeguarding your belongings
Sulaiman Al-ThunayanVice President, Government Affairs
Chris Sealey Vice President, Community Life