Child safety and parental responsibility
As the weather gets cooler and more people enjoy outdoor activities, it is a good opportunity to refresh the community on child safety practices.
At KAUST, parents/guardians are responsible for the safety and conduct of their children. Parents are also responsible for ensuring that young children are safely supervised until they are at an age and maturity level where they may be able to look after themselves.
We recommend that young children be accompanied and supervised by a responsible person, for instance a parent, babysitter, or responsible older sibling. As children gradually become ready for unaccompanied activities, please be reminded that it remains the parent or guardian's responsibility to ensure children are safe and looked after.
Here are some specific instances where supervision is required:
- Playgrounds: Children under 8 must be supervised by an adult at all times and the supervising adult may supervise a maximum of three children.
- Recreation facilities: Children under 12 must be supervised by an adult.
- King Abdullah Monument Park: Children under 12 must be supervised by an adult.
Parental responsibility on our roads
Here are some road safety reminders for those of you with children:
Children and scooters
Children should not stand. They must sit on a fixed seat behind the driver and be able to reach the footrests.
Helmets: no helmet = no ride
- Cyclists are required to wear a helmet that is fastened under the chin.
- When traveling in a bike trailer, children must wear a helmet that is fastened.
- Bike helmets are not approved for scooters or motorcycles. Wear an approved motorcycle helmet that complies with international standards.
Bike lights: be safe, be seen
A white light is to be used on the front and a red light used at the rear of your bike.
Crossing the road
Cross the road at designated pedestrian crossing points only when it is safe to do so.
- Children and infants riding in an affixed child bicycle seat or bicycle trailer/buggy must be firmly secured in a safety harness.
- In cars, children and infants must be seated in a child restraint seat with a seat belt as appropriate for their size and weight.
Do not leave a child under the age of 10 unattended in a vehicle.
Follow the rules of the road
- All road users to follow signs and road markings.
- Be aware of others sharing the KAUST roads.
- Mobile phones are not allowed to be used when driving or riding a vehicle or bike.
- Follow speed limits at all times and adjust to the driving conditions and hazards of the road such as school areas and playgrounds.
Also view the videos on school bus safety and bike safety.
Thank you for doing your part to support child safety in the KAUST community.
| Chris Sealey, Vice President, Community Life|| Erik Talley, Director, Health, Safety & Environment|