Open Water Championship, an elite swimming race, was held in the shimmering blue waters of the KAUST harbor on Saturday, October 16. KAUST's first Ministry of Sport sanctioned event brought swimmers from around the country to the specially designed course in the Red Sea. The Saudi open water championship was a huge success with nearly 200 competitors from three age groups, including four elite swimmers from the KAUST community.
KAUST elite swimmers
Well done to the KAUST community members who completed the race:
- Sacha Palermo, 4 laps in time 01.05.51.63 and the 9th place;
- Alberto A. Ceschin, 4 laps in time 01.10.11.19 that gives 13th place;
- Eric Rowell, 4 laps in time 01.25.28.19 that puts Eric in 28th place;
- Dewi Zhang, 2 laps in time 01.18.53.70. Dewi is 13 years old and his score placed him in 41st place.
KAUST competitor Eric Rowell and his wife Ashley also created an excellent
video about their experience at the event.
Congratulations to all the Open Water Championship winners, in each category:
- 13-14 years old 2000m (2 laps)
|Zeyad AL Sraj||Al Hilal||00.38.58.80||1|
|Ahmed Al Obiad||Al Khaleej||00.39.02.53||2|
|Hamza AL Mutawa||Al-Fateh||00.39.23.04||3|
- 15-17 years old 3000m (3 laps)
|Aqeel Al Hashem||Al Adalah||00.43.28.76||1|
|Mohamed Al Zaki||Al Khaleej||00.43.63.77||2|
|Hussein Al Marhoun||Al Safa||00.44.52.97||3|
- 18 years old and above 4000m (4 laps)
|Ahmed Al Hashem||Al Adalah||00.57.05.61||1|
|Ammar Al Hamid||Al Safa||00.57.56.40||3|
Event photos and videos
The event photos and videos are now available on the
Community Life Flickr page.
Thank you to the spectators for your motivation, the hosting and supporting teams for a well-organized event, and the participants for your hard work and determination!