10 tips for reducing food waste at KAUST
Posted on May 09, 2021
Most people do not realize how much food they throw away every day. Around 1.3 billion tons of edible food – equivalent to a third of global production – is wasted annually by the world, which is enough to feed 3 billion people, according to a report by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
We all have a shared responsibility to reduce food waste. Start using these tips today to reduce waste, save money, and protect the environment.
10 Tips to avoid wasting food:
Here are some tips provided by Community Life Food Safety and Quality Assurance team:
- Shop smart, prepare your shopping list in advance and minimize the bulk big size products
- Do not throw away ugly fruits; they are still safe to be consumed
- Store the food in small containers to avoid wastage
- Use your freezer. Freezing is a great way to store most foods to keep them longer
- Use first-in first-out concept, prioritize the nearly expired items first
- Keep always your fridge clean
- Always verify the temperature range of your fridge
- Be creative and use the leftover
- Care and share your food with others
- Turn your food waste into compost. The video produced by the Students for Sustainability
Also, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) provides excellent video that can help to reduce food waste. Watch the video and spread the word about reducing food waste.
© 2020 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. All rights reserved.