On-demand bus review
It has now been more than a week since the new on-demand bus service was fully launched. We'd like to take this opportunity to thank those of you who are using it and share with you some summary information and analysis so far.
We are pleased to inform you that over 2,200 community members now have an on-demand bus account. So far, the on-demand service has completed 7,500 rides with an average trip duration of around 7 minutes.
Although we have had mixed feedback with regards to waiting times, service timing, and service availability, we continue to be confident that the on-demand bus is a good fit for our community's transportation needs. This is supported by a rider satisfaction score of 4.7 out of 5.
We are continuing to analyze the app data and your feedback to make adjustments to improve the service provided. For example:
- Reduction of 'average pickup time' over the past week; this went down from nearly 11 minutes on day 1 to just over 7 minutes on Sunday. We expect these numbers to continue to improve as we adapt to the community use of these buses.
- Re-introduction of color-coded bus schedule; every 15 minutes from 4:30 P.M. - 6:30 P.M. to support the demand during the peak hours – (effective Thursday, February 13, 2020)
Get the most out of the on-demand app
As a user, you can also do your part to get the most out of this service. Below are a few hints and tips to consider:
- Book a little ahead of time. For example, if you want a bus to pick you up as close to 5:10 P.M. as possible, don't wait until 5:10 P.M. to make your request – start making your request at 5:00 P.M.
- To help reduce the number of 'no-shows' which ultimately impacts other riders, please use this service in conjunction with the scheduled timetable; i.e. don't make a request for an on-demand service if you then ultimately use the next scheduled bus that comes along.
- Remember you can book for multiple passengers – and you don't even need to be one of them; i.e. You can book a ride for a family member without joining them on the bus.
- A smartphone is not required to book a trip with the on-demand bus; you can call the Saptco helpdesk for booking assistance at 012-808-5222. Calls can also be made from home phones or phones in recreation centers.
Tell us how we can improve
Please take a minute to review the new on-demand bus service. During this short survey, we would like to gather the community's feedback on their experiences and any ideas/suggestions on how we can keep improving.
Interim Community Services & Engagement Director